Saturday, January 12, 2013

Cleanse Update #8

Status: Still going strong

Sunday night will mean 2 weeks down and just one to go.  This week was busy at school, but we tag teamed the cooking and everything worked out.  I would have to say that one of the hardest parts of this cleanse has been having to cook every meal.  We love to cook, but with our current restrictions, we can't just go out and grab something that is already prepared to save time after a long day.  However, we are both feeling a difference and that feels good. We both agree that we feel more energetic and alert.  Here's our progress after two weeks:

Jamie: 138 (-10 lbs)
Trevor: 240 (-15 lbs)

The best parts of the week food-wise were getting to eat fish and beans.  Trevor made a wonderful salmon dinner one night and some sort of australian white fish another night.  I'm not typically keen on fish, but I'm learning {which is good because it is really healthy}.  We made a big pot of lentil soup which was easy and delicious.  I think that one will stay in the rotation after the week is over.  I have also really enjoyed Baked Sweet Potatoes with Citrus for breakfast.  As strange as it feels for this oatmeal/cereal girl to eat sweet potatoes for breakfast, I have found it to be warm, fresh, and satisfying.  If you bake a bunch of sweet potatoes in preparation for the week like we did, it makes it really quick and easy in the mornings too.  {Trevor wasn't crazy about those for some reason}.

Reflecting on the past two weeks, I think we are really realizing a lot about our food habits.  Like I said before, we really know how to eat well, and for the most part, make pretty healthy choices in terms of what we buy and how we prepare our meals.  Our downfall is portion control, {eating quickly and going back for seconds}.  We also rely too heavily on carbs and not enough on vegetables.  Trevor made the comment too that we always feel like we need to have a side dish or two, when we probably don't always need to.  Living simply is not just for possessions.

I don't think that after next week we will continue to eat gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free all the time.  But I do think that we will focus on eating smaller and waiting until we are hungry {not starving} to eat again.  I like having an eating schedule, eating a meal every 3-4 hours.  It keeps me from grazing and nibbling all day long, but it gives hope when I'm feeling hungry that the next meal is not far away.

I'd better get back to my lesson planning, but I thought I'd give a quick update first.  Thanks for sticking with us.  This little blog is providing the accountability we need to follow through and finish strong.


No comments: