Tuesday, February 2, 2010

OATMEAL

Sorry I don't have my menu Monday post up yet - but it will come. I do want to share with you my new morning obsession - oatmeal!

Keep in mind, I'm not talking instant-from-a-pack-loaded-with-preservatives-and-sugary-junk-oatmeal. I'm talking real, old fashioned rolled oats...Irish or otherwise. So here's how I've been making my oatmeal lately that has me drooling on my desk just thinking of it:

1/2 cup Irish rolled oats (regular Old Fashioned oats work fine too)
1 cup water or skim milk
1 T ground flax meal
1 T wheat germ
6-8 walnut halves, crushed
1/4 - 1/2 c frozen cherries (no sugar added)
1 T maple syrup

Cook oats in water according to package directions. Mix in ground flax meal, wheat germ, walnut halves, cherries and maple syrup. You can vary this recipe with many kinds of fruits or nuts...it's so filling and comforting, and I feel energized and alert all the way to lunchtime.

I'm so exicted to hear what you think about this recipe. I LOVE IT and I hope you will too. Happy Tuesday!

2 comments:

Tasha said...

Thanks for the recipe! I'm going to give it a try. I never was an oatmeal fan (manly b/c my mom made me eat the out of the package kind) until I spent the summer in Australia. My hostmom would make homemade "porridge" every morning. Yummy! Oh and the Italian Chicken was yummy too!

TracyMichele said...

You MUST try this!!
1/3 cup oats
1/2 cup hot apple cider
1/4 cup hot water
1 TBS brown sugar (I used less)
dash salt
dash cinnamon
1/2 small apple cut into chunks

Combine oats, cider, water. Micro on high for 4-6 mins. Top with b.sugar, cinnamon and apple slices.

Seriously.. SOOOOO good!