Friday, June 5, 2009

Fireplace Ideas

Part of our living room makeover includes updating the look of our wood-burning fireplace. We'd like to keep it modern and classy, without the expense of ripping it out and starting from scratch. Here are a few pictures I found, although I don't like everything about each one. I can't pinpoint exactly what we want, but I know I will know when I see it...hopefully these will provide a little inspiration as we move along with the project:

From HGTV.com
I like the candles inside...not crazy about how this is executed, but maybe I could deal with a nice vase of flowers in the middle of ours. And I think I like the little votives on top. But maybe not so many. It looks a little like a set for my favorite reality show, The Bachelor!

Take away the furniture and I really like the simplicity of this one - just some nice pillar candles inside and a nice big mirror on the top.

Trevor has suggested doing words somewhere - maybe this is a good place to do it.

I don't like the glass vases for our space, nor is the mirror right...but the paper lanterns are a clever idea...

The clock is wrong for our room, but I might like a few pictures leaning against the wall...and maybe lean the mirror instead of hanging it? Trevor, aka: the symmetry king, might not like that idea at all...

And probably my favorite: Obviously our mantle isn't nearly as ornate...but I like the collection of little odds and ends - looks purposeful with a touch of whimsy without appearing cluttered. Contrary to what one website said, a mantle is NOT a great place to show off your collections...

2 comments:

t.s.poppy said...

The last is my favorite, but I think its timeless aesthetic is playing to my inner Parisienne...

Other things I have seen people stack, and I mean FILL UP, fireplaces with are wood, books, or terrariums. I have a ton of fireplace pictures, so I'll start perusing and send you some. :D

Anni Huffer said...

I like the word idea. and keeping it simple with a pic and maybe vase. Candles are cute but if you are gonna light them a lot it becomes a fire hazard. Built up wax catches on fire easy. found that out the hard way.......... anyway have fun! pictures look great of the floor look awesome by the way