Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Makeup Meltdown

I hate it that I haven't written in 3 weeks, and now my first (and highly anticipated, I'm sure) post will be about something as superficial as makeup...but this morning, I had a complete and utter makeup MELTDOWN! I should preface the story by saying that in February I switched over to Bare Escentuals and I love it. I will probably never go back to regular foundation. The product is light, and the coverage is flawless. I am in LOVE!


Other than my very solid choice in foundation, however, sometimes my judgement in products is...well...questionable at best. If you read this blog at all, you know that I am a coupon junkie. Thus, it is really hard for me to buy a cosmetic product that is not a) on sale or b) packing a considerable coupon discount. So yesterday, as I was buying a few last minute items for a trip, I headed to look for thee perfect (albeit cheap) mascara. For the past few months, I've been using Almay and LOVING it...but when I got to the aisle, it was full price and a little more than I hoped to spend. I looked at L'Oreal Voluminous which also has a good track record with me, but it was full price as well. I flipped eagerly through my coupons and found one for $1.00 off any Revlon product. SCORE! $1.00 off! So I picked the Revlon mascara with the best looking brush shape and went on my way.

Fast forward to this morning: I excitedly opened my new product expecting to find a nice, soft, fine bristled mascara brush, but instead it was this scrawny flexible silicone shaft with little mounds poking out all over it. Seriously..it looked like a bumble ball toy that my brother had as a baby


Scary, huh? I guess the name of the mascara and the shape of the alien wand should have tipped me off...LashFantasy, anyone? x|

At this point I was running 15 minutes ahead of schedule and was anxious to be done getting ready, head to breakfast and be early to work. But NO...this mascara had something totally different in mind. After what seemed like 10 minutes of combing and curling and coaxing, I walked out of the bathroom looking like this


okay, so not REALLY...but pretty much. I had six of the LONGEST, STRAIGHTEST, stuck together lashes I have ever seen. I combed them again. I curled them again. I combed and I combed and I combed. Trevor laughed. I think it was mostly to cover up the fact that he grimaced when he saw them...so now, 5 minutes behind schedule, I slathered on my eye makeup remover, washed my face and STARTED OVER! Needless to say, I did not use mascara the second time. I would rather go without than look like this


(not actually me, but a good representation, since in my ridiculous state, I forgot to take a picture for your enjoyment)

I am going to call Kroger and see if they accept returns on opened cosmetics. I doubt they do, but I've got to do something. Revlon LashFantasy is by far the worst mascara I have ever tried.



What about you? Have you ever spent a good $5-$10 on a cosmetic product only to end up HATING it when you get home?

6 comments:

t.s.poppy said...

Have I ever come home with a cosmetic product that ruined my life instead of simply doing its job? YEP.

Mascara is the worst for me, though I've had some real downers with lip things: gloss, balm, etc. :(

Stay away from L'Oreal Voluminous products: I'm currently on my avowed last tube, since the line has (seemingly) become increasingly fibrous. #_#

Keep us posted on the mascara quest. I need a switcheroo, and unfortunately cannot NOT wear mascara. I look like a fetus face without. (Not good!)

;)

rebecca joy said...

I personally swear by MAC's Pro Longlash: http://www.maccosmetics.com/product/spp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CAT152&PRODUCT_ID=397... It is perfect, but a bit more expensive.

For an incredibly affordable option, go to: http://www.eyeslipsface.com/shop.asp... read: $1!!

My best advice for mascara is simple: if it brags about adding volume, it will be a mess. Q: How does one add volume? A: By adding thinkness via goop, which always looks clumpy. Go for length! It will still, by default, add a bit of width. Think about it.

Good luck!

Jamie and Trevor said...

Thanks for the suggestions, friends. I love my MAC eye shadows and primers, so I may give their mascara a try...good call, Rebecca! And Bean, thanks for the heads up regarding Voluminous...I haven't used it since college. I may try the MAC stuff, or I may just buy another tube of ALMAY one coat nourishing mascara (waterproof). I really have LOVED it - it has a nice, fluffy football shaped application brush, and it defines my lashes without making me look like a freak. I am thankful that I have long, naturally dark eye lashes, but one wrong move, and I look like I'm working the street corner. Speaking of mascara blunders, have either of you tried the Maybelline Great Lash in the pink tube? I've read all over that it's the best mascara ever, but I tried it last time and HATED it! I have friends here who've had similar experiences.

@wesome@bby said...

I swear by my Clinique mascara. Love that stuff,and spent WAY too many years finding it.

t.s.poppy said...

Maybelline Great Lash is pretty craptastic. Takes forever to dry, which can make a real hot mess of your face.

I think I shall try both your Almay alternative and the Mac suggestion. Even though my cousin swears by Clinique mascara, I had difficulties. :|

Jamie and Trevor said...

Great news! Kroger let me return the mascara even though it was opened. I'm so glad I asked. I'm working on being less afraid to ask for what I want. :)