Tuesday, March 31, 2009

25 Years

Today is March 31, 2009. 25 years ago today, Doctors at Children's Hospital in Denver removed a malignant Wilms Tumor from my little 8 month old body, along with my left Kidney. There were so many reasons that I might not have made it, but God made a mighty move in my life and saved me. For what, specifically? I may not yet know, but I plan to be faithful and live my life for Him in order to find out.
My favorite part of this day is being able to share it with my mom and dad. Most parts of my story seem to be just that, a story. I don't remember the long nights in the hospital, the nurses taking me away through the doors and down the hallway to surgery, or the 14 weeks of chemotherapy that followed, but they do. They were the ones who had to live it, and I'm so thankful for all that they've given to me. I truly believe that on March 31, 1984, the Lord used the skillful hands of those surgeons to give me a second chance at life. I have spent these past 25 years living for Him, and I intend to spend the next 25 doing the same.
Today at work I received this gorgeous arrangement from my amazing mama - I love you, mom! Thanks for always, ALWAYS being there for me, in spite of all I put you through!

4 comments:

J said...

Oh, Jamie. Thank you for sharing this with all of us. I too am so thankful for God's faithfulness for seeing you through. Now, I have to wipe away these silly tears before the kiddos come back. Love you so much.

katie henbest said...

Jame. tears is right. i am so thankful for you and so incredibly glad God healed you all those years ago...cause really, what would i do without you? i love you, Jamie Lubiens.

Sherry said...

blog stalker coming out of the woods...

I love this. so encouraging and hopeful. So neat to see someone on the other side of something so huge.

rebecca joy said...

thank you for sharing this with us. sometimes i feel like people don't tell their stories enough anymore - we talk about the trivial but not the profound - especially when the profound is personal. but this is an incredible story, well-told, and it defines you in some ways. i hope someone tells this story at your funeral and people know what a little fighter you always were. :)