Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The wrong conclusion

This is Trevor writing. I guess I am the "nickels" portion of "pickles for nickels" since Jamie is green and delicious (in a non sensual way...or not) and I am overlooked and cheap. Some or most of you may know that while I am waiting for a career in music to unfurl, I work at the Opryland hotel (the Big O'land) in Nashville. Every Monday through Friday, 6:40 AM to 3 PM I get to greet guests and welcome them to this monstrosity of a hotel. For some guests this process is quick and painless. For others, it seems as soon as they drive by the "Welcome to the Gaylord Opryland Hotel, give us all your money sucker" sign they lose literally all common sense.

Today's tale starts with a yet another slow, rainy day in Nashville. We work outside but under a huge covering. It is almost like a tunnel with the hotel's spa above us, the main entrance to one side and a very nice brick wall on the other. We do have a nice breeze that blows through but we are very shielded from the elements. So just to recap, it's very rainy, very slow and we are under a covering so none of us are getting wet.

Enter safe Steve.

My fellow coworker Chuck and I were standing in the middle of our covered 100 ft. drive. I saw safe Steve inside with his friends. I saw Steve approach the huge wall of glass doors we have with his perfect glasses and curly gray hair and his guarded grin. It appeared as if He and his friends were headed out on the town. Steve had a light jacket draped over his arm and said something to his friends before entering the slow automatic revolving door.

I do want to recap just once more. It IS raining. We do work under 4000 or so square feet of COVERDNESS.

So safe Steve gets two steps from the revolving door, opens his hand up to the sky as if to receive a "low five", and without one glance up to our stucco ceiling comes to the conclusion that it is NOT raining. My friend Chuck and I took a second to gather our thoughts then looked at one another very puzzled. We then watched safe Steve go back into the slow revolving door and back to his friends to tell them the great but very wrong news.

I can't wait for tomorrow.

2 comments:

kylee said...

Trevor! I get to hear your stories again and the great way you tell them!
(I inserted the pauses you would have added for comical tension when reading)
As there is an argument for this internet thing taking over lives, I'm game if it means keeping up with you guys!

Anonymous said...

It was great to hear and better to read.

My word verification for this comment was "polure" in case you were looking for a new band name. You're welcome.