Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Menu Monday

You know how much I love stretching the grocery budget by making menus from ingredients I already have on hand, and this week is no different. However, this week's menu is straight from the college cafeteria. We'll try to health things up wherever possible as we go along, but how can you beat $17.00 total for the week!? Including lots of fresh fruit for breakfast and lunches? Here goes:

Monday: HOTDOGS! Reduced sodium, reduced fat, all beef franks on whole grain buns with freshly opened potato chips and strawberries on the side. This is the perfect meal to chow before heading to the ball fields for a little church softball action. Summertime, here we come!

Tuesday: PIZZA! Not healthy or homemade here. Just plain ol' leftover Papa Johns. Boy is it going to be good though - I think I'll eat a nice big salad on the side to redeem myself.

Wednesday: TACOS! We make our own seasoning, so we can cut out a ton of sodium here. We also buy lean beef and try to drain off most of the fat. Small soft tortillas eliminate the need for fried taco shells, although they are white flour tortillas...the small size encourages us to be careful about our portions. Nice crispy romaine lettuce on top...All in all, not the most healthy meal, but it will be so tasty! mmmmm! Most likely tortilla chips and salsa on the side, in order to ruin any health value we may have added to the tacos, of course!

Thursday: BURGERS! We like to add lots of finely chopped onion and garlic to the meat when we make our patties, along with grill seasoning. We find it helps the burgers to stay nice and juicy on the grill. Topped with cheese for Trev and lettuce for me on toasted sourdough buns. My favorite part of this meal though are the sides: chili roasted sweet potato fries and chili lime sweet corn on the cob...gosh, I'm hungry already.

After dinner Thursday night, we'll be packing to head to KC for the weekend to watch Jenni graduate with a degree in Psychology. Congrats, Jen! I can't believe she's graduating already, and I'm so excited to see what the Lord has in store for her life. Trevor and I are convinced that this includes a move to Nashville, but I guess we'll leave that up to her. :) We're excited to see my family and to spend some much anticipated time with them, and we're also crossing our fingers for a little KC BBQ action whilst we're there.

So that's that. I've got to get back to it...but hopefully more to come this week. Until then, let me know what you're eating this week...

No comments: