Monday, April 20, 2009

Menu Monday

I finally got it together and made a menu this week. I'm trying out the couponmom.com method of combining coupons with local grocery store sales, so it takes a little more time, but I made it. We were also given some leftover fried chicken at church yesterday. I saved two pieces to warm and eat and pulled the meat off the rest and threw away the breading. Contrary to popular belief, one should not eat fried chicken EVERY night of the week. :) As such, here's what we're eating this week:

Monday: Fried chicken and crock pot corn
Tuesday: Chicken Taco soup and tossed salad
Wednesday: Chicken salad pita pockets (made lighter with plain yogurt instead of mayo, and of course, lots of yummy fruit and toasted walnuts mixed in)
Thursday: Steak and sweet potatoes on the grill (the last of our amazing Omaha Steaks - sad day!)
Friday: Homemade bruschetta pizza on the grill - this is an experiment (not the grill part, but the bruschetta part) We love pizza and we love bruschetta, so why not combine them into one yummy dish?
Saturday: Brunch with waffles, eggs, bacon and fruit. Hamburgers on the grill for dinner. Sidenote: in the South, you don't "cook out" or "grill," you "grill out". We are "grilling out" with our sunday school supper club :)
Sunday: Church potluck - Fried Chicken (of course) and various starchy sides. I think we'll probably bring a large tossed salad and maybe some corn? Dinner will be either out with friends after The Gathering or home for some popcorn, apples and cheese, our new favorite nighttime snack.
So that's it, folks. Trevor played handyman this weekend and replaced our grill hose so in the weeks to come, you'll see lots more grilled food on the menu. Is there much better than cooking outside on a mild spring evening? I love the flavors, the smells, and the fact that I don't have to spend my evening cleaning pots and pans after dinner! So let me know, what's your favorite thing to cook on the grill?

2 comments:

katie henbest said...

ummm, maybe you should just come teach me how to use a grill and then i'll tell you what my fave things to cook on it are? ok? ok.

marc said...

kebabs!